I have been keeping busy when I can summon the energy, doing a list of jobs that I have meant to do for ages. I approach jobs in two ways. One, with lists, and two with areas to tackle. I am very bad at estimating the actual time a job will take me, so often leave them un-ticked, or transferred to the next day. The areas tackled this week include the top of the kitchen cupboards, the food cupboard and basket, my little painting/craft desk, the bear chair and doll bed, and the kitchen windowsill/plants/sink area. The top of the kitchen cupboards house, among other things, 11 decanters, a collection of apothecary jars, a collection of cabbage pottery, a musical cake plate, vases and three different examples of aniseed liqueur jugs. The decanters are Andy's, (except two) as are the jars-both from his family. The jugs are Andy's too. The vases are mine. I got rid of a massive glass vase, a glass cake stand, some dessert bowls, wine and brandy glasses. The kitchen windowsill now contains far fewer things, as a few of the plants were beyond saving. I re-potted a couple, and the end of the windowsill contains pretty glass things that the sun will shine through. Today I dusted and polished the small collection of lovely wooden things in the hall. A couple of days ago I also got rid of some old sunflowers that were there, so I could put the re-potted dragon tree there. I am not sure if I should cut it off and plant those bits, and let it re-sprout, as it has got very tall. I need to investigate if you can actually do that. The reason for all the tidying is mainly because I keep bringing things home from Mum's and need to make room. It is also with a view to finally getting the sitting room floor done and the bedroom finished. I decorated it last year, but was interrupted at the end by an electricity problem which meant taking up the floor in the sitting room. As we (I) have far too much stuff, that was not a simple task. I discovered wooden floorboards under the horrid laminate, and want to sand and varnish them. But that has not happened yet. It will be quite difficult as it involves moving large furniture to the kitchen, but the more clearing of small stuff I can do, the easier it will be.
The large sunflower head has gone. I liked it but it had been there since the year before last so time to go. My reward for doing/finishing jobs is to carry on with making something. I can't knit at the moment, which I am finding very difficult, as I have hurt my left wrist, and I am pretty sure it is because of knitting. That is the hand that just holds the needle and doesn't do much, but I think I grip it too tightly. I have done a tiny bit since last week, but the pain just comes straight back. So this week I have been painting this bunny. He was from a good charity shop in Welling whch mainly has vintage things. I think bunny was the last thing I bought from there before lock down. I bought a bear from there a while ago, at the reasonable price of £5, all the more reasonable as he makes a noise when you turn him upside down and back again. More of a baa than a growl but still fun. He is called Welling. (My imagination wins again!) Bunny was there for a while before I decided to rescue him. £7 seemed slightly overpriced, but I have grown to love him. I love his colours. When I first started to paint him, I did his fur a kind of creamy yellow. Then when I moved him to the desk with more light, I decided that he was more of a dirty grey, so he had another layer. I have been using acrylic inkns, with gel medium added to them. (Thanks Linda Sue!) I intended to delicately sew over the seemingly drawn on features, but I have not finally decided.