Thursday 2 June 2011

Weekend Away

I spent a lovely weekend in the Midlands-first in Beeston near Nottingham, then in Birstall near Leicester. A lot was crammed into a few days-a barbecue, walks in parks with deer, a food festival, an exhibition in an art gallery in a large country house, a school farm feeding trip, a walk near a lake and a pint in the pub and a visit to a large country market. Today I am posting some of the chickens I encountered! This one was most interested in me, because, it turns out, he wanted to have a peck at my hand! Can you see the naughty look in his beady little eye?

This Mother hen is doing a great job with her chicks. There were about four in there, under her wing.

When you crouch down in a large group of chickens, they all rush towards you and crowd around, clucking, like they have something very important to say. Until the food appears that is. Maybe that is what they were trying to tell me.

They are very fast!

7 comments:

Dimple said...

Nice lot of chickens--the hen with chick peeking out is a neat shot!

Leenie said...

What a fun time you must have had! Lots of events and places to visit. Hope you had a super time.

I love the look of chickens too. You got to see a nice variety. They are be pretty friendly when they think you have their meal. But the feisty ones can sneak up behind and give bare legs quite a pinch.

Dawn Elliott said...

I love reading about your days on holiday...the deer, the country market, the pint! It looks and sounds delightfully rural! Beautiful!

Unknown said...

Good chickens Sarah!

We went up there to-day to feed the animals and the pigs had got out of their pen. They had dug up bits of the "lawn" and were shouting at the goats. Farming is stressful.

cloudbusting2 said...

They are scary when they come with a full crowd looking for food. Once I didn´t have any food for them and I feared that they want to peck my legs as they looked so angry!

jabblog said...

Chickens come in such lovely colours and they look so much better with their feathers on;-)

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you had a great time! I love chickens!