I have been making this doll for ages, and finally completed her recently. She is called China Doll, for obvious reasons. She is made from Thames finds, a doll head that Linda Sue sent me, string, wax and clay. I have been thinking about how to use clay pipe pieces, and doll limbs seemed a good use. The body is air dry clay with tiny pieces of blue and white pottery pressed into it, then covered in wax. The hands are painted with red wax, like the ends of some of the pipes used to be, to stop them from sticking to the lips of the smoker. The hair is dipped in wax, and it was a happy accident that it turned out as if she is on a windswept beach, as the wax hardened almost immediately, producing hair that stands out from her head. I was going to use a copper light bulb base for a hat, but none of the ones I have found fitted, so a small oyster shell did the job instead. She is standing in an air brick, surrounded by a garden of rusty nails. As well as the fact that I like the brick and nails, I also like the fact that I didn't have to make her any feet!
The book houses are related to a project at school. I enjoyed making them. I especially enjoyed placing the tiny people!
They are spookily faceless, and remind me of The X-Files,
or Men in Black or something of that sort.
I used glaze acrylic glaze medium on the door, as I couldn't find anything else to make it shiny. It has dried clear and looks like glass in the panes, again a happy accident!
I used tracing paper in the windows, one of them coloured with yellow alcohol pen.
Inside the houses, where a lot of cutting of paper, gluing and strengthening went on.
Not a very attractive box, but exactly the right shape.
I covered it with linen fabric.
I gessoed that.