Thursday 27 October 2011

Letters

A bargain from Greenwhich market. I nearly didn't go as I was feeling a bit under the weather, but am so glad I did. These and a vintage sewing box, in which I have consolidated all things sewing-well at least the cottons, knitting needles, needles and my sewing scissors. And it doubles as a useful little table. It was full of goodies-I must make sure to use lots of them so as not to pass it on to some other bargain hunting vintage lover in 30 years time. One of the popper cards says 'wartime issue' on it-that got me thinking to when I will be old and it will be in the forties-a hundred years after the war. Strange how your mind wanders when cleaning out an old sewing box. There were Cash's woven name labels for Thomas but he never used them. I put things from this, from my Great Aunt Peggy's, and from the other couple of old sewing baskets I have, together-all the bias binding, darning wool, zips, crochet hooks and poppers. Buttons are all in a basket-apart from the ones that aren't. The pretty little things-a couple of lovely belt buckles-one jet glass and the other silver metal and wood, a small glass screw top test tube of silver beads, some jet glass buttons and some blue glass and gold buttons, are all in a compartment. There are always pretty little things in these sewing boxes. There are also mementoes of their owners. One I bought years ago had the passport photos of the lady who I presume owned it. Another had winning certificates for two rabbit shows. I can't throw these things away, it seems wrong to do so, so they are kept in the box still, and I look at them when I come across them.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

What a great bargain. the letters are terrific, and it sounds like the sewing box was a real find.

Love your header, those little beach huts are very cute.

BonnyBadger said...

Omg what a find i am so jealous!!!!!!

Tracy said...

Such fun, and what wonderful finds! I love old thing... And so much enjoyed your posting from Southwold! It's good to be back here catching up with you. It's been a tough week, as we've been dealing with a family loss, but we're OK. Happy Weekend, Sarah ((HUGS))

Linda Sue said...

immense treasure! How lovely!

jabblog said...

Wonderful - I wouldn't be able to cast them out either.