Tuesday 17 May 2011

Quick and Easy

A scrap of chintzy cloth fell out of my fabric box the other day. I put gesso on it in a rough face shape, and later used inktense pencils to draw a quick face. It was really quick, which makes me think-should I take more time over things? I do often take more time, but get just as much enjoyment out of the quick doodly things too, so maybe not! Inktense pencils are very intense colours-hence the name I suppose. The wet colours are so lovely and you cannot tell from the dry colour.

More quick and easy-this time in the garden-primulas for £1 each from Morrison's-where I also bought some ready grown sweet pea seedlings for £1 each-bargains! I love these primulas and also love sweet peas-but never have much luck germinating them.
Below is some greek basil-with the added colour of a ladybird. This basil is so delicious. It is stronger in flavour I think than the larger leaved basil. These two plants were supermarket basil and completely pot bound and dying because of it. I split the plant and re-potted them and they are thriving. It makes a delicious addition to a cheese omelette-a quick and easy tea!

Two more quick and easy recipes-carrot and coriander soup-a bag of carrots, a stock cube, an onion and a bunch of coriander. Cook the onion in a little oil until soft, add the dissolved stock cube and the chopped carrots. When the carrots are cooked, add the ripped up coriander, blitz in the blender-done-delicious!
Fruity milkshake-handful or two of soft fruit of your choice, enough milk to make it as thick or thin as you like it, a bit of vanilla syrup if you are being bad! Blitz in the blender-yum!

12 comments:

Kat Mortensen said...

Hi Sarah!

Your gesso-lady looks very saintly to me. I like her!

Kat

Kat Mortensen said...

One more thing, you can find my poetry at this location for the time being: www.katspalaver.wordpress.com

Kat

Leenie said...

Sometimes the best art is the kind done quick and loose. I have a problem going too much the other way and it gets all tight and over-worked.

The ladybird is the perfect model to go with your beautiful plants. I just planted some basil from seed today. I bought some fresh leaves at the grocery store for a bruschetta recipe and was reminded how good it is. Hope my seeds produce something before the summer is over.

Lori Saul said...

I love your lady- she is so fresh and spirited and spontaneous (the best way)- beautifully done Sarah!

Anonymous said...

the basil looks so pretty!

Linda Sue said...

Very cool painting on fabric you clever girl! I hope the bug flew away before it all hit the blender- bugs are spicy.

Unknown said...

Love your lady she looks so serene, and your garden shots are glorious.

Cathy Cullis said...

Hello I just followed blog to blog and found your blog, who delightful to find you.... I do like your drawing/painting on cloth - looking forward to seeing more here, best wishes
Cathy

Tracy said...

LOVELY face, Sarah! What great way of using fabric! I love the watercolor-like look of her. YUMMY garden bits & bites... Terrific soup recipe--thank you! I will have to try this when we get back from our trip. I love coriander! :o) Happy Days ((HUGS))

rebecca said...

i love all your offerings today.


(love too seeing cathy admiring you!!!)

jabblog said...

Lovely recipes! Well done for salvaging the basil - somehow it tastes so much better when it's grown outside.

Anonymous said...

Such a pretty picture of the lady bug on the basil! I have never tried to grow herbs.