Sunday 25 November 2018

Christmas Colours

I got this book for my birthday by Kim Thittichai. I have read most of it. It is full of inspiration and advice on how to create texture and layers with fabric. There are two techniques in there that I had not come across before. The first is the most exciting for me-using Bondaweb adhesive interfacing) to transfer painted designs to fabric. I have used gesso and acrylic on fabrics, fabric paints and also printable fabric, but this way is so much easier and really fun to experiment with. I want to use it in doll making, but so far have just been playing around with it, making little tree ornaments. The other technique is making faux chenille, which I shall write  about when I have had more of a play. 
 Not only can you transfer your picture to fabric, but you can use the Bondaweb to add foil. I have quite a lot of heat transferable foils as I bought a TODO hot foiling machine a few years ago. They work pretty well for this. My mini iron has come back out of its box too, as I can be much more precise with that when foiling. These are the finished results so far. I am stitching them together using running stitch and some of the many embroidery threads and cottons I have, and leaving the edge raw as I like that effect.
 Some designs based on my collection of china dogs. 


 This is my Christmas tree almost finished. I used a graining tool to make the trunk pieces, which are wrapped around kitchen towels. The pom poms were going to hang from the discs but I quite like them just scattered on the layers. Also that will be much easier.

No comments: