Monday 14 September 2015

Group of Strangers From the Past

When I was looking for a toy bus that I knew I had, but couldn't find (it turned out to be where I thought it was but I hadn't seen it), I found a little collection of photos that are not mine. Well they are, but they were bought rather than passed down. I think this one came from the bag of papers I bought in Deptford market. Just look at this picture! It couldn't be of a more differently shaped group of women. The lady on the right is so tall with such a tiny head, the one on the end is tiny and the other lady is solid and square. I love the skinny ankles and many buttons of the right hand woman. It looks as if it is from the 1920s-the hats, shoes and the long line of the dresses make me think so. Also the woman in the background with the little girl has a very cloche like hat. Interestingly I think the man's clothes could be from a much wider timespan. They are like characters from a children's book which I would like to read. It looks as if they are outside a park. There is nothing written on the back of the photo, only the printed word 'Northampton. 
 They made me want to draw them. I have done a very light pencil sketch which didn't scan well, so I fiddled with it in Photoshop. I think I will go over it with ink.
 I liked this effect. 

No comments: