Friday 25 March 2011

Stuff

The pleasure of making a muddy handprint on a tree should not be underestimated. Lovely creamy, gritty mud. It came from underneath a clump of violets that I transported from our garden to school, and planted with the children yesterday. Where I had watered them the night before, the mud left in the bottom was just the right consistencey for fun. E. in my class is autistic. He absolutely loves Forest School and was having his usual good time walking up and down with two sticks, and glancing from time to time at me and L., his TA. I thought he might like the mud so I showed him my hands, and the bucket. He looked in the bucket then made a face as if to say 'no way!' However, five minutes later he went over to the bucket which I had left on the grass and crouched over it. After a while he put his hands in and found he loves mud too!
Other mark making has been going on in my garden. I went out for my usual look tonight and when I was coming in I noticed this funny little mark on one of the (dirty) garden chairs. I wonder if this creature enjoyed wriggling through the dirt making this pattern.

I also found this honeysuckle bud. I like the way the outer leaves make a square, and the way the red and green blend together. The honeysuckle is the star of the garden at the moment-the only truly healthy looking large plant we have-after all the changes that have gone on and are still going on.
Another sunset found me tonight. This is what I saw when I got out of the car at about6.15 tonight. This doesn't quite convey how huge it looked!
I am off on a demonstration tomorrow in central London. It is to protest at cuts to education and public services, and things such as pensions for public service workers, which are planned by the coalition government. I have not been on a demonstration since the eighties. I can't remember what I packed in my bag to take in those days-apart from money, cigarettes and a book. There was not bottled water then. I don't often get bottled water as I don't approve, but I have to admit it is useful on this occasion! Mobile phones, ipods and digital cameras are all new and all adding to the weight of my bag! I have my A-Z in case I get lost, and lots of snacks in case we get kettled! Hopefully it won't come to that. The only thing they have not invented for me which would come in handy would be a mobile loo!
I was kettled in the eighties-not for too long thankfully but I was with a girl who did wet herself as the Police would not let us out. Not nice! It was not called kettling then though.

This post is called 'stuff' as when I was trying to think of a title (I always find that hard) I remembered Jack's remark from this week. We have been looking at heavy and light things and I was passing round a closed box of feathers and an open one of bricks to compare. I asked the children to guess what was in the box. Jack said 'stuff'. He couldn't be wrong!

10 comments:

Linda Sue said...

When I die I want to come back as one of your students. I do love mud also, one of my fondest memories was wallowing in a mud pit naked.You are GREAT! Creative, fun , with a sense of adventure- just what a kid needs. Hope you don't get kettled, or thrown in the slammer!

Lynne said...

A busy day for you today! I hadn't heard of the term kettling before. Be interesting to hear about your experiences. Hope it goes well.
I sometimes struggle for a title. Then othertimes, they just pop into my head.
Your Forest School always sounds fun.

BonnyBadger said...

OH NO poor kettled girl and her weak bladder - have a great march today and I'll see you later on HOPEFULLY, if the police don't get you first.

Great wiggly trail - wonder what that was!!!!!

Tracy said...

A muddy hand prints.. reminds me of when my sister & I were little and we made mud pies! Why do we go off mud and such things as adults? hhhmmm... I do think we need to take a close look at taking up these childhood joys again as adults. The world might be a more relaxed place if we played like kids. A honeysuckle bud already--what joy! Hope all goes well at the demonstration...hope you don't get in the nick! ;o) Happy Weekend, Sarah ((HUGS))

jabblog said...

The violets will spread and in years to come there will be hundreds - and all thanks to you:-)

Anonymous said...

What a lovely moment for Elliot, to allow something new into his world! I know what you mean about thinking of a title - I have a sneaking suspicion that the lamb in yesterday's post was a boy - but I thought of the title, so it had to be a girl!

lynne h said...

stuff!! oh, i love this jack!

i dearly love these muddy handprints, sarah. thank you...

xoxo

Rattling On said...

A coach was going from school to the demo this weekend, I couldn't make it but was thinking about everyone. Shame it was spoiled by a bunch of idiots.
Love the picture of the honeysuckle bud...

Sarah said...

Yes I agree Dawn!

Anonymous said...

I did not know that was called Kettling! Interesting! I hope all went well!