Monday 20 September 2010

Miniature Worlds


Little felt lady waiting for the lift.
She is off to the market with her big shopping basket on wheels.


She got a bit lost in Bonsai Park.

Yesterday I bought a book called 'The Art of the Miniature', by Jane Freeman.
I just loved all the pictures in it, and thought it was about dolls houses.
It is not dolls houses as such, though obviously linked to that whole obsession. It is more about creating miniature worlds as art. I love so many of the scenes created in the book, by the author and a selection of other artists. Above and below are two of my favourites. Frida Kahlo's room-with exaggeratedly bright colours and so much detail. The one above is an artist's garret created in a clock case. I love the way the clock face becomes a stunning window, and would love to live somewhere with a window like that.
In an aside, I was looking at Ill Seen Ill Said tonight, and there was a link to Greige-where there is a picture of a room with a huge clock face which made me think of this one. Then I went to look at the actual source of the pictures and found the amazing Alex MacArthur Antiques and Interiors for Decadent Living site. So many beautiful things! On there is a little film which I really liked and which appears at the bottom of the post. I love these meandering journeys around the internet!
My other recent miniature enjoyment has come from Slinkachu. He creates little scenes in the city and photographs them close up and from a little distance-which shows the tiny scale. They are fantastic. Linda Sue sent me a link shortly after I bought the book, and this site has lots of photos on.





10 comments:

jabblog said...

This all reminds me of 'The Borrowers' - a fascinating tiny world of ordinary things looking huge. I hope your lady found her way out of Bonsai Park :-)

Sarah said...

I loved The Borrowers!

Leenie said...

What a great way to stretch the imagination. Making little worlds for little people and little creatures. Modeling clay, felt, odds and ends can become a whole different dimension, and without limits.

Candace said...

How wonderful! I often think about how HUGE we must seem to our pets, small children, faeries...
I just received a small teaset, a replica of Thomas Jefferson's set in Monticello. It might be the perfect size for Little Felt Lady.
take care, dear Sarah!
Candace x

Unknown said...

I love the felt lady in the Bonsai Park. Hope she made it home ok.

Anairam said...

Thanks for that link - wow, what an amazing world of little people ... I wonder what they think? Maybe they also wonder where they come from, whether there is a God, what will happen to their universe ...

BonnyBadger said...

i love you felt little old lady. BRILL!

Anonymous said...

Fascinating - after doing my 'inchies', I can understand people becoming obsesses with a miniature world!
You are very welcome to come and play with the embellisher!!

Lynne said...

So many beautiful things on your blog Sarah!
Love your felt work.

AMCSviatko said...

You might also like Mixed media dollhouses (Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Mixed-Media-Dollhouses-Techniques-Doll-size-Assemblages/dp/1592535887 but I bought mine cheaper from Book Depository)