Saturday 5 September 2009

Perdita


Perdita means lost. I imagined that her driftwood head came from a boat that was lost or abandoned. It is charred and has a nail in it. She is sad for what was lost and is clinging to the idea of the lost boat. Once I had finished her body, I decided not to give her a costume-just the torn silk and cotton scarves.
I had the idea for making a doll using this piece of wood quite some time ago. More recently I was reading Art Doll Quarterly and saw that they had a challenge to make a wooden doll. The definition specified that the head, at least, must be made of wood. So I m going to send her off and hope they like her. Or if they don't that at least they look after her and send her home safely! As an aside, I was talking to my brother on Thursday night and mentioned my doll and her wooden head. He is a woodcarver amongst other things and has offered to make me a few carved wooden heads for my birthday and I can turn them into dolls! I look forward to that.


12 comments:

Mary S. Hunt said...

she is fabulous
send her in!!!

jabblog said...

Ah, poor Perdita - anyone would give her a home. Enter her for the challenge. Goodness, you and your brother must come from an artistic, talented family - I think woodcarving is such a fine skill. I know I'd whittle wood away to a matchstick . . .

Sarah said...

Thanks Mary and Jabblog!

Hey Harriet said...

I really like your Perdita doll. I wish her safe travels! I'm sure they'll love her! Your brother sounds like a sweetie :)

Crafty Green Poet said...

she's lovely and what creative use of driftwood...

A.Smith said...

She is so inspiring of wanting to take her and cuddle her to safety. She looks so lost and sad with her tattered clothes and her shiny ship. I just love to look at her. It makes me want to dry her tears and find a way for her to go home again.

I can't wait to see what your brother will come up with and what you are going to do with such a treasure as hand carved faces.

Sarah said...

Thank you everyone-for kind wishes and lovely thoughts. You make me happy!

Janine said...

I love Perdita! You are so creative! I love your birds too! Also, your photos!

Diane Rooney said...

Gorgeous. So expressive. How clever, as always. Love your work, Sarah ;)

kendalee said...

She is absolutely beautiful Sarah! I am sure no-one will be able to resist her melancholic charm. And what a lovely gift from your brother - you obviously have such wonderfully creative genes in your family :)

→lisa said...

Aw, I love her striped tights...I hope she gets returned to you safe and sound!

That's so cool that your brother is going to make you some heads to play around with. Do you know what they're going to be like, or is it a surprise?

Anonymous said...

She is just beautiful!