Sunday 2 January 2011

Today

A hopeful swan at the bird sanctuary by the river.
It seemed sure I must have something good to eat, but alas no luck!
It did its best pleading look.

Focus may yet be my word, if I choose a word, but if it is, what to focus on? I am thinking of it in the way of focussing on just one-or maybe two of my normal pursuits. I always rush on to the next project without taking time to explore the possibilities in one area. At the moment I am enjoying sewing and embroidery, but also want to keep up the journal/sketchbook use which I got back into at the end of the year. So those will be my two things at the moment-and like Shell suggested (thanks Shell!) I will review this word in March. As an inspiration in focussing on one thing, I was interested to see this project by artist Cathy Cullis beginning. I once wanted to do enough little heads to fill one of those recycled card trays that supermarkets use for fruit, but I never did-a prime example of my inability to focus! Last year this artist posted a collection a day, which shows a lot of dedication (and a huge amount of stuff-stuff which is obviously well organised-impressive!) and focus.
After a brief walk on the beach, with a few little finds collected and photographed, we came home and had hot chocolate made by just melting real chocolate in slowly heating milk. ( Another Nigella idea!) Quite delicious, and I think much nicer than using cocoa powder. Easy too.
As well as the kindle case the other day I hastily made a cloth doll body-while I had the sewing machine out I thought I would. Today I have been embroidering her face and hair. She looks like a circus dweller to me. She has very long legs and arms which flop around in an acrobatic kind of a way. Maybe she will be a puppet with sticks attached to her arms.

She has a gold tooth! You may not be able to see it in the picture but it is there!


12 comments:

snoopydogknits said...

Oh thank you for a fab doll! I just adore your dolls and the way your carefully chosen text always makes them seem real. She most certainly is a circus dweller, or maybe a fairground worker..... working the 'big wheel' or the 'coconut shy', her real talents wated! Who knows! Happy New Year to you! Ros

Leenie said...

Your swan friend is a beauty, especially against the dark water. Love the sweet pleading look as well. I say GO on the focus word. I sounds like a good one. I could use about two bushels of focus.

Your new friend from the circus looks like great company. :D

rebecca said...

you fill me. i know, i have said this before...
i am going to walk close to you this year.
i love the way you wander...from paint, to sketch, to needle thread and felt...

that you for inspiring me to pick up my longing.....

just watch!

Gabbi said...

Beautiful doll and the swan photos are gorgeous too... wishes for a lovely 2011 to you and your loved ones! ♥

Ashley Ashbee said...

Aw, the swan looks sweet and like it's longing for something... Swans are vicious, though, I swear.

And I like how you were talking about focus in the figurative sense and then the next photograph was out of focus. I'm glad your doll was in focus though because I was happy to get a good look at your doll! Yes, she belongs in the circus. The circus freak show (sorry doll). Well, that's where she would be. But no one really deserves to be in the freak show.

Anonymous said...

I know just what you mean about the need to focus!! It's just that there is always something else exciting to start before finishing the current project!!

jabblog said...

Don't focus too hard - we like you to go off at a tangent :-)
Nigella's hot chocolate sounds good.

Sarah said...

Thanks all of you and love the ideas for the circus doll's occupations! Yes-the going off at a tangent is what I like-maybe I can do that but with more focus!

Tracy said...

haha... a GOLD tooth, I love that! This is a very great doll, Sarah--I love her expression and colors you've used. FOCUS--that is a great word for a new year. Ooo... perhaps a different word for each month could be something?! There I've got another idea... I need to focus. ;o) Nigella's hot chocolate is pure pleasure & decadence, isn't it...mmm... Love Nigella! Keep us posted on the focus. Happy Days ((HUGS))

Shell said...

I'm glad I could help you with your word, Sarah. The pictures of the Swan are dreamy. There are two Swans around the river where I live. I love to look at them. Kind of think of them like my animal cousins since we share the same name.

Jill Zaheer said...

What a wonderful doll. And you are so right about sometimes going through things quickly that you can miss something along the way. Funny thought about her gold tooth!! Enjoy 2011 and all the best!

Anonymous said...

Love the doll! Great pictures! The hot chocolate sounds so good! I bet that was much better than powder!