Wednesday 12 January 2011

Didn't I used to wear you?

Another decluttering exercise at the weekend led to a quick making exercise tonight. Also a beautiful picture I saw on a blog that I now can't find, of a much prettier one of these made me want to make one. A blanket that is-from recycled jumpers. I once went to a fancy dress party as a blanket, I can't for the life of me imagine why. I cut a hole in my knitted squares blanket, tied it around the middle and there was my costume. "That's an unusual dress", said somebody or other, completely missing the fact that it-and I-was a blanket. An episode I would rather forget but can't! So tonight I have reeked revenge on blankets by turning stuff I used to wear into one. Or something. I felted the jumpers in the washing machine-the pure wool ones worked the best but a couple of mixed fibre ones were ok. I cut them into squares which was most satisfying. I love using my really sharp scissors that I save for fabric only. I love the crunch they make as they shear through the fabric-cutting flat on a table gives this sound.
I laid the squares out how I wanted them to be.

Then I sewed them into strips and pressed the seams open.

I then sewed the strips together.

Now I need to back it with something. Maybe I will use an old sheet and slightly quilt it to hold it together. It is not a very big blanket so I think the cats can have it!
A little person has also been made from the jumpers. She may well turn out to be a cliched convict, or maybe another circus type, She could be in the freak show with her gold toothed friend who is more or less finished. The incredible woollen lady.

10 comments:

Kat Mortensen said...

Another fab idea from you, Sarah! I have to say that your blanket reminds me of the recycled skirt on my meme post today -I did the meme you had on your last post and you've been mentioned twice, by the way.
Love the convict/freak show doll. Too funny!

Kat

Leenie said...

Nice project. Your trimming and sewing look very nice. The cats will LOVE such a gift.

Linda Sue said...

That is SO ambitious! That will be a very cozy blanket! Your story made me laugh - a blast of HA that scared Dexter out of his sleep! Love the little person you have started...very sweet!

Anonymous said...

I love your blanket! You could back it with fleece - Ikea do very cheap (but reasonable quality) ones - and the dinosaur one I used for Stuart's quilt came from Sainsbury's! I love your little person - I think it should be one of those men in a circus who lift weights!!

Tracy said...

LOVELY blanket, Sarah! This is a projects right up my street... and great upcycling! ;o) I love how you took time so save some wool bits to make a doll too! Happy Day ((HUGS))

Yiota said...

A lovely idea, Sarah! It's going to be a very comfortable, warm blanket!

jabblog said...

What a brilliant idea! It looks wonderful, too.

rebecca said...

i too love that sound. you have evoked it perfectly.
love your stripes...and your beautiful artistic mind.

dandelionlady said...

I love your little convict lady! She looks like she's going to turn out awesome. I just wish I could find a black and white striped wool sweater to felt up too!

Anonymous said...

What a great way to recycle fabric! Love the blanket!