I used pretty paints-sample pots and iridescent ones, topped by two layers of glitter glaze-a decorating one I have had for years. I had forgotten about how the glitter flakes, so to make it safe (health and safety-glitter in eyes!) I then coated each one with one coat of varnish. It happened to be a craft varnish but any would do. Hopefully this will preserve them a bit as well if they are used outside. I did colour pairs.
I will report back in a while once they have been consumer tested! I also cut up some lengths of the lagging as that is good to hit stuff with too-including the tops of your legs to make a beat.