Tuesday 13 July 2010

Aiko Cherry Blossom Girl

You may remember a while ago, that I was visited by Deirdra, and while she was here, we swapped dolls. She went away with my Collector doll (the photo of her is complete with Andy's legs and a Sainsbury's bag!), and this week, I received Aiko, the Cherry Blossom girl.
Isn't she beautiful? She is fitting in well with the many other dolls in our crowded flat and seems to like it.


She has a lovely detailed dress and I love the way she is painted. Her little fairy tale crown is so sweet. Thank you Deirdra, I love her!
I am going to make dolls for two challenges by ADO, the doll group I am in. One is a Frida doll and the other is a doll inspired by a Grimm's fairy tale. I have found an online site with the stories on, as I can't find my book. The one I read tonight is strange and sinister, and reminds me a bit of the Divali story. There is a big list on the main page, and the title of this one attracted me, as I am terrible at making hands! It is called 'The Girl Without Hands'.

15 comments:

Lynne said...

Hi Sarah,
Lovely of you to visit. I've enjoyed catching up with you, still more to read though.
As always you are full of busy.
Aiko is indeed lovely.
I've always loved the Grimms fairy tales, but I'm unfamiliar with 'the girl without hands.' I look forward to seeing your creation.

Lori Saul said...

This is a beautiful doll- she looks wonderful in the garden setting. So inspiring and playful- makes me feel younger!

Linda Sue said...

Harumph- you could SO write a better story! Love your swap of dolls- both are indeed very gorgeous- they really ought to live under the same blossom and be pals.

Kathryn said...

I'm living in Japan right now and saw a few cherry-blossom dolls around during cherry-blossom season, they're adorable! :)

If you make dolls regularly you should check out Dolly Donations (http://dollydonations.blogspot.com/search/label/Dolly%20Donations%20Dolly%20Tutorials), she's collecting dolls to send over to Haiti!

Glad I found your blog!

Mary S. Hunt said...

your trad cherry blossom doll is lovely!
you do hands better than you think
the 2 dolls you are planning now will be terrific...show steps
:)

Unknown said...

She is gorgeous..I love her face

Look forward to seeing your new dolls

Gabbi said...

Beautiful Sarah! I love the expression the colors...

Anonymous said...

She is lovely! The detail of her face is amazing. I am sure she will be very happy with you Andy and the cats!!

Unknown said...

Very, very nice! and I love the new header :)

Boyknitter said...

Hello my dear! Thanks for stopping by my blog yesterday and for all your supportive comments! I'm so pleased that you came and told me about Aiko and the pictures are fab! Full of character! You must be so pleased!

M xxx

kendalee said...

Not many people (or dolls) can carry off a crown and yet she looks very comfortable (and beautiful) in hers. Also, that dress... gorgeous! Obviously Aiko is a girl with style.

Can't wait to see your new dolls - how exciting! Is that your summer holiday project?

Tracy said...

Oh, Aiko is lovely, Sarah... and I LOVE her dress! Fabulous creation...She will live happily at your place. It's great to be back here catching up with you after being away a few days MIA and feeling unwell--thanks for the kind words at my place. Happy Week ((HUGS))

Shell said...

Aiko is beautiful. She looks like she could tell a wealth of stories.

Bimbimbie said...

Gorgeous Doll, she has a wise look about her.

I love a Grimm tale, the grimmer the better ... don't like the sugar coated modern versions*!*

Anonymous said...

She is beautiful!