Monday 7 February 2011

Love

I often leave comments on blogs saying this or that is beautiful, and I love something I have seen there. I wonder if I use the word love too easily, but I don't think so. There are probably different degrees of love but I do love a lot of things! I love tulips and cats, especially mine, and visiting new places and trees in the winter, the smell of lilies(sadly not allowed in our house anymore since I found out that the pollen is poisonous to cats) and the smell of hyacinths. I especially love finding exciting new things-well old things-but new to me. This is one such thing. The Vulcan Senior. It is a toy sewing machine from the fifties, found in the 20teens on Greenwich market(where else?!) and purchased for a very reasonable cost. I asked the man if it was working and he didn't know but I took a chance and it was. It had instructions with it and I couldn't wait to try it out. These two photos are almost the same but for one tiny nose butting in as I took my pictures! Can you see her?
I love the tone of the instruction-'Thread cotton Thus'-I can imagine it being spoken in a clipped and refined(refained) 1950s accent! I did thread cotton thus and it worked like a dream!

It is a machine with no bobbin-how it works is a mystery to me but it produces chain stitch. It is a bit hit and miss, and does not really like to join two layers of fabric together, but I can see embroidery possibilities. I have a small collection of old cotton threads which are just right for this machine and are in a lovely selection of colours.




This is a little video of the Vulcan in action-I apologise for the blurriness but it gives the idea.

17 comments:

Helen McCookerybook said...

What a lovely sewing machine! It reminds me of the Clangers, I don't know why.
About lily pollen- have you got a good vacuum cleaner? Hold the nozzle up to the orange things with the pollen, and it slurps them right off the flower. They still smell just as nice, but they're not polleny any more. It does turn the vaccuum cleaner orange inside though! x

Lori Saul said...

What an amazing find Sarah in the wonderful little sewing machine and I love your photo presentation. Gorgeous shots of an enchanting castle in your previous post. My husband and I travelled to England 25 years ago and we're long due to come back. I felt so at home and connected when I was there and long to travel again. We've got a ways to go before retiring but I sure enjoy travelling vicariously through your lovely photos. Cheers!

Anonymous said...

I looove toy sewing machines!

So lucky it works...

Tracy said...

LOVE... there can never be enough love, in my opinion! I LOVE all the time, as you know... ;o) But it is true, what I say is true. The more love in the world floating around, the better! And this is some serious sewing machine love here--gorgeous machine, Sarah... Very fun here today! ((HUGS))

Leenie said...

Yes, love. The word covers so much, but is usually easily understood in whatever context. Never too much of it.

Your new toy is a beauty. Fun to see the little video of how it works. Blurryness is expected if you had to shoot it with one hand and turn the handle with the other.

Also fun to see the little nose checking out what you are so busy with. Thomas is the same way with being right there to see what I am so busy with.

You'll have to stop by and see my video of my grandkids (and me) enjoying the snow. Think your students would get a laugh out of it too.

rebecca said...

sweet completely SWEET find!!!

i am so happy for you and this new vulcan charmer.
embroidery...YES!

all eyes,
rebecca

Anonymous said...

I, too, use the word love a lot - both in posts and comments. But sometimes it's the only word to use! Yes, I love your sewing machine - I would love to have one of my own!!

lynne h said...

wow, if i had a vulcan senior i would soooo love it!! (i also wonder if i use the word 'love' too much... but, like you, i think not. i love tulips and cats, and, and... : )

xoxo

Sam said...

That is a very fine looking piece of machinery! I tried and tried to find the small nose but alas I was unable to! Will go back and have another go! P.S. Adore your new header - and perhaps the green parakeet is like our lorikeets although I find with parrots their calls/ songs are so varied and different from species to species.

Noelle Clearwater said...

Amazing little machine. It is completely classic and adorable, not to mention how admirably it sews. Fantastic find. Loved the video too. Your header is great! I think that it is wonderful that you are so sensitive to cats as I think they are the best companions.
Noelle

Sam said...

Ah ha! I see her! A fine feline profile if ever there was one! :0)

Anonymous said...

love is a broad word, as i was once told by a wise friend. i tend to use it a lot too.

Kaleido Mind said...

thats so cute--what an awesome find!!:D

Elizabeth said...

Love the new header. I know love love love

but I do like it a LOT!
Gosh, how very English the coutryside.....
and your tulip photos delight.
Are you using hipstermatic?

jabblog said...

You do find some fascinating things. Isn't it wonderful that it still works?

→lisa said...

That is the coolest! And yes, I *love* it.

I used to have a toy Singer machine that had belonged to my aunt when she was small. I never tried threading it (and I think it was missing a bobbin) but I loved playing with it when I was a kid. It was a solid, heavy little thing with lots of sharp bits. Ah, old toys. So awesome, and so dangerous!

Anonymous said...

Love your sewing machine!

I love tulips too! I saw some at the home improvement store today and they immediately made me happy!