Saturday 19 February 2011

A Country Walk

Welford Park, in Berkshire, opens in February for a month, to show off its beautiful snowdrops. It has woods, a river, a swamp, formal gardens and secret gates. There is a dog cemetery, dogwood, aconites, a sweet tearoom and a pretty church. I have come home with a couple of pots of snowdrops, to add to my tiny clump. They are best planted 'in the green' and are supposed to multiply a little every year. Mine were doing but this year have not! There are lots of photos today so you can follow me on my walk if you like. As we were driving there we went through some woodland. Ahead on the road we saw a line of five deer crossing-in a very orderly and beautiful way. As we drew level to where they were they had become invisible in the wood again.



















13 comments:

Linda Sue said...

Your photos are lyrical! Love the dog in mid leap- Love the blanket of snow drops and the buildings and the forest- just WOW! Delicious.

Leenie said...

Awesome, awesome collection of photos! I've never seen such an accumulation of snowdrops. I understand now where they get their name. The flying dog and the first picture of the gate and the path in the woods are also my favorites.

Good wishes for success with your new pots of snowdrops.

→lisa said...

What a beautiful spot. The carpet of snowdrops is like something from a dream.

And I love the dashing dog (a Dalmatian?, so cute).

Yiota said...

Oh, the beauty of the countryside! Thanks so much for all the photos!
Have a great Sunday!

Anonymous said...

I loved joining you on your walk - but the spooky thing is that you have posted some photos which are so similar to some that I took on my walk on Thursday, but didn't put in my post!!

Rattling On said...

Absolutely loving the new look, it looks so fresh and you've made such a good job of the design. Snowing here so our poor snowdrops are covered up!

Tracy said...

BEAUTIFUL photos series, Sarah... just love taking this walk with you. And those snowdrops make my heart sing... Oh, I can't wait to see flowers soon... soon. ;o) Happy Weekend ((HUGS))

Unknown said...

What a wonderful series of photos. Snowdrops are such a lovely flower, they look amazing in this setting.

rebecca said...

such beauty...
you take me places where dreams are made.

jabblog said...

The snowdrops are so beautiful. What a lovely place to visit. Your photographs show a delightful day out.

Deirdra Doan said...

Thanks so much for the post on my Blog article!!!

What beautiful photo's I love the snowdrop floweres!!!!!! oxox

Shell said...

An amazing place. I can only imagine how dazzling it must be in Spring and Summer.

Anonymous said...

Looks like a beautiful place!