Thursday 17 February 2011

Art Heals

Amidat is such a timid and shy person, to the extent of looking fearful a lot of the time and not even having the confidence to say when she wants to go to the toilet. She loves to draw, and has a picture that she always does. Drawing seems to reassure her and gives her a way to communicate-she shows her drawing to an adult and gives it to them or her Mum as a present. She draws two female figures, some wiggly grass, the sun and a flower. I have watched her drawing this picture and she does it fast and surely, in a certain order and with great concentration. Today though, she did something different. She was with me as I went into our office to get something. On the floor was a tub of small toys-McDonalds ones in pairs-all sorts of monsters, animals and figures. She was looking at them so I asked her if she wanted to play with one. She nodded and picked the little girl. As we went out of the office she said "I want to paint my dolly." She started with the face, then hair and pink hairbands, then went on to do her dress and shoes. I am so impressed with how she did it and her observational skill. But the main thing that I love about it is how happy she obviously was when doing it, and the confidence that it gives her to draw and paint. I know it is said that art heals and this is one example of it to me.
I have sat tonight and made ready labelled pictures in photoshop to use on a display tomorrow of lots of the watercolours the children have done, all lovely! We have an inset day tomorrow for planning and assessment. I have done the planning etc I need to, so am going to do display and learning journeys, thus saving myself a day in the holiday I hope!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

i am glad it gave her comfort and a sense of confidence.

christina said...

just stopping in to thank you, for your kind words.
xo

Unknown said...

She has done really well, it must be so rewarding to know that you are helping her.

Leenie said...

Those with that art in their heart are so fortunate to have mentors that encourage their gift. As you say,it can be freedom and language and a healer. Too bad art and music are always the first to go when the budget gets tight.

Also too bad teachers don't get paid for all those extra loving hours put in to make learning a pleasure. Good blessings for you!

Janine said...

Sarah, this posr really touches me! When I was in kindergarten I was so shy I too couldn't tell the teacher I had to use the toilet and as a result had an accident or two. But drawing was my strength, it was the only time I felt confident! So I can identify a bit with this child! How fortunate for her to have a teacher like you! My teacher were mean and bullies! But that was a different time/era!

Anonymous said...

How wonderful that she has a way of expressing herself - I was a very shy child, so I can relate to her story!!

Noelle Clearwater said...

I love the title of your post. I love that you offer a child compassion and the space and time to draw and paint what she needs to complete her emotional journey. You are a good teacher. I know. I was a teacher for 14 years. Yes, art does heal. In Gaza, many of the children who have suffered incredible trauma find a great deal of solace in drawing what they have seen and speaking about it publicly with those who share what has happened to them. Art also heals adults. I loved what you said on my blog today. Thank you.
xoxo,
Noelle

Linda Sue said...

You are a shining star! Thank you for being there for the littlies at their level where you are needed. You place a strong brick of gold in their foundation, you do.
( The garden cart is not mine- it lives in Norway)

rebecca said...

i love hearing about your students sarah. this is particularly touching...your kind regard, so supportive and ready to make a thoughtful difference in the lives of others.
art heals...as does your present and willing heart.

enjoy your weekend!

Mary S. Hunt said...

very important (i think) for children to be able to art...(adults too)

this particular post was very touching!