Monday 12 September 2011

The Stone Witch

This head is called The Stone Witch. I wanted to make a witch, and I wanted to use this lovely Gotland sheep wool for her hair. Other than that I didn't know how she would be. I wanted to use the big eyes-one of 10 pairs I bought recently which are huge. So the Stone Witch has turned out quite big-about 10 inches high. Her name popped into my head before I started her-I was drawing how she might be and there it was. I am not sure why, but I like it. She sounds hard but I think she is actually quite ethereal and dreamy-at the same time as looking slightly like Oscar Wilde!
Pondering...
Posing.
The page on the left is a picture from the latest TOAST catalogue(I have just had a look and it is full of beautiful pictures set in the countryside and including some really lovely weathered and rusty buildings) -and the woman in it has the Stone Witch's hair! I didn't see this picture until halfway through making her, and I just don't know how the people at TOAST knew! My hair is grey under all this dye, and if it looked like hers I would let it remain so.
The witch likes to fade in and out at times......



She is thinking about Halloween-and wants to be shown my squashes in the garden, in case they would be useful as pumpkins. (It doesn't make total sense I know, but I think it is best to humour a witch)




5 comments:

Linda Sue said...

Yes, it is better to humour a witch..but yours doesn't look so much like a witch to me as a bohemian priestess who spouts poetry instead of conversation and who draws rather than writes. I like her!She never speaks so much as chants and sings...Her eyes see the things behind the dreams and she smells like wind.I really like her!

Sarah said...

She really likes you too Linda Sue-especially after that romantic description!

→lisa said...

Oh wow! Very, very cool!

I love her hair so much; I wish mine looked like that. I have lots of gray, which I don't color, but it is decidedly blah :(

Tracy said...

WOW... I love how you captured the hair, Sarah... When I'm all gray, I want to look like that! Fantastic! Happy Day ((HUGS))

Anonymous said...

She looks fabulous - and yes, you should always humour a witch! I just don't think about the colour of my hair under the blond - I just keep going to the hairdresser!!