Monday 13 September 2010

Monday Allsorts

A lemon fell out of the door and looked so striking against the different greys of the ground, steps and plant pot, that I had to take a picture. (Thanks to Kim Klassen for lovely texture!)

We came out of Sainsbury's on Saturday evening, and the sun was setting spectacularly. On the way out I could hear this tune (I hoped to put a link here-you would know it if I hummed it!) and thought I was going mad, until I saw a man playing it on a saxophone. Another man was taking a photo and the sax man said "no photos"-but the photo man just wanted the sunset and the sax man was in front of it! He would have made a great silhouette.
I found this quote in 'The Artist's Way' tonight, which I really liked as a compromise on the way to your dreams. I don't know if you know the book-it is a kind of programme to follow to regain your creativity, and works well for many I think. It has some interesting ideas but I am afraid it does not suit me, as, a) I am too lazy to do morning pages, and b) cannot contemplate the idea of having a week which is free of books, tv, internet, magazines-what if that is the week I died? If you do not know it then I apologise for waffling on inexplicably.
THE QUOTE!!--
"Choose one festive aspect from your ideal day. Allow yourself to live it. You may not be able to move to Rome yet, but even in a still grungy apartment, you can enjoy a home made cappuccino and a croissant"
I can still look at shells, even if not at the beach! (I am easily pleased)
On the news tonight I found out that there is a windmill in Brixton! Who would have thought it? I intend to seek it out and photograph it at some point in the future-there is an interesting pub nearby-hand painted sign, has music on, may be worth a try.
Here is a great site called windmill world with lots of information. I had forgotten but there is a windmill in Plumstead near where I work-it is a pub and is quite scary!

Looking for the tune, which I still have not found, led me to these videos which are great-I recognised every single tune but could not name one. Oh dear. They would be great for a classical music quiz if the need arose!

11 comments:

Helen McCookerybook said...

Hi Sarah! The Windmill is a really famous music pub and has some of the best up-coming bands on. I've always wanted to play there but have never been invited :(
You'd definitely have a great time if you went there!
xx

Leenie said...

"Windmills of Your Mind" is a favorite of mine. It is how my head feels at 2 a.m. when sleep is not to be found.

And sea shells with sand clinging to them from a visit to an ocean now far away is a great reminder of a feast of fun that can overflow into today.

Wish I could have been there for the sunset and the saxophone.

Linda Sue said...

windmill in BRIXTON! REALLY? That is quite a surprise! When I lived on thornton road I walked to Brixton market every other day to get fruit and music...way back in the day- it was shady..Absolutely LOVE the photo of the lemon and planter- what a PRIZE!!!

Unknown said...

Great post. Love the videio of the classical music, I recognised some but couldn't name them.

"Windmills of your mind" and oldie but a goodie.

A week of no TV,reading,internet I'm with you on that one

AMCSviatko said...

Am trying to do "Artist's Way" at present. Failing miserably. Don't care. Intrigued by the concept of a reading ban and will try to instigate it soon, scary as it is...

rebecca said...

i love the way you seek out images and places that interest you, and share them here with all of us.
i love that you are "easy to please"....
i deeply LOVE your profile picture...which astounds me every time i look at it!

Kat Mortensen said...

Sarah, my dear, "lazy" is not a word I ever associate with YOU!
On the other hand, I'm totally with you on the "morning pages" thing. I started the book, but it wasn't for me.

Love the lemon photo.

Kat

I'll be checking in periodically today if you want to chat.

Anairam said...

Love your picture of the lemon against the grey. I found out last year that grey and yellow is a really pleasing combination - one wouldn't think so! Oh, windmills always make me think of Don Quixote. I have for the last two weeks been attacking (fruitlessly thus far) a windmill of bureaucracy and red tape. Soon I will be crazy too ...
PS I hope my postcard arrives soon - I posted it last Wednesday 8 Sep from a little postal depot (not a proper post office), so please let me know if it does not arrive by next Wednesday - then I will know not to use them again! A tiny something else that I have found over the weekend will also soon be on its way to you. It is cat-related so made me think of you ...

Leenie said...

BTW: My sis (a very creative type) gave me The Artists Way. I tried the morning pages for a while. Some interesting things flowed out of my pen. But over a period of a few weeks I lost so much sleep with the extra early rising that I got worn out, caught a nasty case of strep throat and ended up in the emergency room. When I was well again I threw the book away. Probably the only book I ever threw away. Nothing really wrong with the book---just wrong for me.

Anonymous said...

I couldn't go a day without books, tv, internet whatever - and I don't think it would help my creativity. I love your photo with the lemon.

Anonymous said...

That is a beautiful sunset!