Monday 30 November 2009

Sunday

Sunday started well as I found a lovely package hidden in a folded up copy of the TES (Times Educational Supplement) that I had not opened until then. The paper had been folded in half and fastened with elastic bands, thus hiding the package! It contained a beautiful notebook and card from Yiota in Greece. Her blog Shells, Bells and Flowers is lovely. Thanks Yiota!
I love the stamps.
The book is full of beautiful watercolours of birds. I love it!
Later in the day we visited my brother in his new little house. It was owned by a 96 year old lady and is decorated in a 1960s/70s way. It is quite sad as lots of her things are still there-she has moved into a home now. Antony has got quite a job ahead to clear it. I really like it and took lots of pictures. So many old scenes to be preserved. There is a lovely ruin of a cast iron, boat shaped greenhouse in the garden, and a grape vine with lots of grapes. A lot of everyday household things were left behind, and I have kept some of them as the family don't want them and it seems a waste to send them to the tip. Things like an old pair of weighing scales and an enamel bread bin. Antony found a great DIY magazine from 1968 which is so interesting. I will show you some of that in the week.
I liked this. I will show some more house pictures later in the week.



10 comments:

Sam said...

What a delightful parcel you got!! ...and I'm very curious now about your bro's house - looking forward to the photos!! Have a lovely week!

Kat Mortensen said...

What a wonderful surprise to discover. I love the watercolour birds too.
Looking forward to photos of Antony's new place. It sounds charming and quaint. So sad when someone has to leave their home though, isn't it?
Maybe I'll give you a call this week, Sarah.

Anonymous said...

what a lovely package to receive!

Tracy said...

What a delightful gift, Sarah! I just lately discovered Yiotas blog...what a lovely spirit she is! Happy Day :o) ((HUGS))

jabblog said...

That's a very nice weekending to have. It looks as though your brother will be discovering lots of treasures and I guess some of them may well be from the middle to late 19th century.

Anairam said...

I love surprises! Sometimes I find folded money in a jacket or coat pocket - I still feel a thrill even if it is not that much. The book is really beautiful - did Yiota paint the birds or is it a printed book?

Anonymous said...

What a lovely surprise - and I know you will do something wonderful with the stamps!

Sarah said...

It is a printed book Anairam-prints of watercolours-it's really lovely!

Anonymous said...

What nice gift!

Congrats to your brother on his new home!

Anne said...

Hi, Sarah! What a lovely surprise! I hope you and yours have a fabulous holiday season! :-)