Tuesday 18 August 2009

Weird Portrait

Here is my first mixed media layered portrait. It has been an interesting process although I am not sure about the end result! She looks very serious and sombre. Amongst the layers are graphite pencil, coloured pencil, ink, acrylic, textured paste, watercolour pastel, and acrylic ink. I have sandpapered quite a lot in between layers and I really like the weathered effect this gives. I like some of the in between stages more than the final one but I think I will stop and have a go at another one now. I have also started my sketchbook from that exhibition project I mentioned a while ago. Not got far yet though!





Thanks for the comments on the new layout. I really liked my old one but fancied a change! I fiddled around for ages trying all the different options(not that many!)

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Is this your idea or are you taking a class? I really like the portrait alot....

smiles
xoxo Sonia ;)

Shell said...

I like the new look. The eyes of the your lady are so intense.

Anonymous said...

wow Sarah - it's amazing how the feel of the portrait changes with each layer - the hardest part maust be deciding when to stop!!

kendalee said...

Sarah, this is fab! She does look she has a lot on her mind but that's not a bad thing, is it? Your art always makes me smile and I love that you are so willing to experiment - it's inspiring.

kendalee said...

ps I too love the new look - very fresh :)

Sarah said...

I am taking a Suzi Blu class-the Goddess and the Poet-portraits and prose poetry-I am not so keen on the poetry bit though!
ANd yes-deciding when to stop is hard-I think in the middle would have been good here!

Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful portrait! You did a great job on this!

Anne said...

Hi, Sarah! I think your painting has a lot of emotion and atmosphere or mood in it. She is intense and seems very focused or determined. Lovely work! :-)

A.Smith said...

Oh what stories one could knit from that lady's look! I love the direction you are going, there is such a soul searching feeling to it that it makes me look at it with inquisitive eyes.

I too plan to rest and read tomorrow. One weekend tending to tomatoes, herbs and letters. A bit of heaven to enjoy.

Anonymous said...

love this...thanks for stopping by my blog!