I wanted to make a present for my friend and liked this cute owl bookend in a magazine. I enlarged and cut out the pattern, then started to make my owls. As is often the case I have found, the instructions were unclear, unillustrated and unfathomable. This resulted in two unsatisfactory owls with weirdly large and unsightly beaks. I took the beaks off them and thought I would just add other, smaller beaks. But when I woke up this morning it had all become clear! The way that the beak is made is by folding the top of a cone onto which you have already sewn the beak. A couple of simple illustrations or two slightly longer sentences in the instructions would have made this clear to me on the first attempt. Anyway, I decided to make two new owls, as I wanted them to look better as they are for a present. I ended up making another one for me too, so now I have three.
My lavender owl has found the owl page. He has now realised that he bears little resemblance to a real owl, but he doesn't care because he smells so good.