Thursday 17 January 2013

Old Patterns

I love old knitting patterns for the pictures on the cover rather than the pattern. The different styles through the eras are interesting and the different poses and props, such as this rather large basket-I think for logs rather than washing as she looks the outdoors type.  These are some of the best ones I have found for a while. There were loads of them in the market the other day. I looked through the whole pile and these were my favourites. They must have been someone's whole collection. I wonder how many of the things she (I am assuming a she) made. They are all priced in old money, so are before 1971. The 60's ones have a date on the back but the others don't so I am guessing the decades they are from.
These three look like late forties or early fifties. 
I think these are early sixties.
I love the way they have height sorted the girls.
Apart from the Bairn's wear one-that looks older to me-because of the toy dog.
I loved the quite sinister styling of the gloves bursting out of the newspaper-made me think of Hitchcock. I can't imagine what effect the stylist was aiming for.

I love the bright colours of these-maybe fifties?
The one on the left looks seventies to me so maybe 1970 or early '71?
These two are very falsely posed looking. That Dad should watch out for Double Deckers creeping up on him too.
The one on the left below is the only crochet one I found. I liked the wire chair in the last one, as well as the elegant lady.
Information on old money.

10 comments:

busybusybeejay said...

I have lots of old patterns,some in old money.I never threw away patterns from when my two were babies and they came in useful for grandchildren.Should I keep them in case I'm around when there are great grandchildren.I don't think so as that will be a long time off.

Queenie Believe said...

Your knitting patterns are great fun. I love looking at old pattern envelopes. The glove pattern picture is awesome or should I say hip and mod :o)
Have a great day.
Always, Queenie

Rattling On said...

I have suitcases full of old patterns. Positively bulging. I've collected them since I was at school, I've knitted some but I love just looking at them as well. I like the undies the best!

Elizabeth said...

Such a blast from the past!
I love knitting hats --but these patterns seem horribly complicated.
Both my garnnies knitted like mad -- knitted my school uniforms.
How I longed for clothes bought from a shop like other people's!

ps can't read the word verifications at all well!

Carole Reid said...

Oh my gosh, Sarah, I was in a thrift shop the other day with one of the strangest knitted child's outfit I've ever seen! I'll go back tomorrow and see if it's still there so I can buy it and send it to you. Fingers crossed.

Sarah said...

Thanks Carole! Sorry about the wv Elizabeth but I kept getting spam. Maybe I will take it off for a while. I don't know why blogger changed it. It is really hard to read most of them!

Sarah said...

Knitted undies-what a thought!

Tracy said...

Oh, this was fun to see! I love old patterns too. I don't have much of a collection of them, but I love to see them. :o) Happy Weekend, Sarah ((HUGS))

Leenie said...

Isn't it interesting how things put out there for sale look so tempting today, then become dowdy and passe, and, after a few decades, they become "cool." Too bad the attitude isn't the same for most people. Winkles only seem to be good on raisins.

Unknown said...

You haven't come across the ones with Graham and his brother on yet then I take it?! No, that would be something to see...