Monday 21 January 2013

More Snow Magic

The snowflakes became thinner and thinner last night, until they were the depth of a single layer of ice. You could almost see them spinning down like glitter and then, when they landed, you could pick up your own handful  of stars. It was magical. I tried to film the effect, and, although I got too close with my phone, at the beginning of each film you can distinctly see the snowflake shapes.
My school was not one of the many that remained closed today. It is not bad on the main roads around here and the buses are running fine. My class only had eight children in though,  so we had a lovely morning, playing in the perfect powdery snow, then having a treat snack time with fruit, biscuit and hot chocolate. It is so lovely to be able to actually talk to children without the many interruptions you get when there are more than about ten of them! We watched a film of the Chinese New Year Dragon dance which was much admired, and which caused at least half an hour of re-creation from a few of the kids, while the others helped me to cover a box with paper in preparation for making a story treasure chest. Great day!

7 comments:

Carole Reid said...

Still no snow here on Vancouver Island. Today we have sunshine, then fog, and hopefully more sun. It is chilly though. Brrrrr.

andamento said...

Thank you for your kind comment on my blog. I used to have you on my favourite blogs list, sometimes when I update it I delete ones I don't mean to and forget to sort it later. Will fix now! I love your snowflakes, they are indeed beautiful. We had a sprinkling of snow today but it's all gone again, feel like we're missing out on the party!

jabblog said...

It is a rare treat to be able to spend time talking to small children. The children who couldn't get to school missed out, I feel.
Love the snowflake clips.

Leenie said...

Oh, I could see the individual snowflakes in your capture. Even though I live in snow country I still am enchanted by those six sided crystals--at least until they hang around in dirty heaps and don't get the hint that is far past time to leave.

Too bad teachers can't always have class sizes small enough to give proper attention to their students. People have usually have their priorities all wrong when it comes to budgeting money for education.

Tracy said...

This was fun, Sarah! It's very frosty here, windchill makes it seem even worse cold-wise. Keep warm there! :o) ((HUGS))

Cassie Cridlebaugh said...

Just rain here in Washington.
Sounds like a fun day. :)

Rattling On said...

This is the umpteenth time I've tried to leave a comment...fingers crossed it works as I've reset EVERYTHING I can think of. Major blogging problems at the moment so I think I have an over zealous firewall or something...Aaaargh