Tuesday 1 January 2013

New Year's Day Walk

After trying and failing to go to Oxleas Woods (too busy no parking), the river shore (same problem), giving up and going to TK MAXX where I got a couple of late Christmas presents, then home again for a late breakfast (scrambled eggs on toast with smoked salmon-mmm!), we then went to Greenwich and walked around there for a while. For the first time for days we have had some sunshine, which made interesting light for the photos, with the clouds that were blowing in too. It is about three o' clock in these pictures so getting quite late, and the sun was low in the sky and the light golden. Beautiful! I went around snapping like a tourist and thought I would share my walk with you. 
 The gates at the bottom of the park, looking through towards the Cutty Sark and Canary Wharf.
 The Admiral Hardy pub in the market. I liked their display of lava lamps in the Eat window.
 The entrance to the market with angel and lights.
 The window of the newish yarn shop-a lovely shop which I hope stays for a while. The shops on this row come and go very quickly-the rents are very high I think. It was closed today luckily or I would have probably been tempted.
 The roof of the entrance to the foot tunnel.
 The high river.
 Sun on Docklands.
 And on some houses just across the water.
 Cutty Sark reflected.
 Golden sunlight on chimney pots. This is my favourite picture I think.
 Cafe Sol.
 Another entrance to the market.
 I love this large papier machĂ© holy family.
 The old market, still with cranes. I don't know when the developments here are supposed to finish but they have been going on for a long time.
 The Mitre. Another pub we used to frequent. 
 St Alfege's church.

 The cinema and the clocktower.
 CafĂ© Rouge.
Sunset over Blackheath on the way home.
Hot chocolate and reading with snoozing cats all around. They are tired from the firework disturbance last night I think!

6 comments:

Leenie said...

I really like how low sun angle defines with shadows and adds that golden glow. Your photographs are super. Wish I could have been there to see the sights with you.

I discovered the Christmas video, "Love Actually" with Emma Thompson and Hugh Grant. It had some colorful language and some skin shots but was still so fun I watched it three times. The views of London made me think of you.

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year! What a wonderful walk ..... and yes, it has been good to see some sunshine after all thhe rain!

Jenny Woolf said...

What lovely pictures. And actually I was walking around really not far from you at all on the very same day. Under that very same winter sun! It was so great to have that interlude of sunshine.

I hope that 2013 is a wonderful year for you and your loved ones.

Tracy said...

Happy New Year, Sarah! This post had me very homesick for London! Gorgeous images, with wonderful angels, and that special low winter sun. :o) Happy Days ((HUGS))

Linda Sue said...

Wonderful walk around your neighborhood! Wish I was there but this shared walk is most enjoyable, beautiful sunshine! Lovely part of the world.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures! Thanks for sharing with us!