Saturday 15 February 2020

He Has His Own Wharf

We have a new addition to our house. He is called Oliver, and yesterday I discovered that he has his own wharf, which he has been keeping very quiet about! He started appearing in our garden at some point before Christmas, and was friendly and not very willing to go away. He kept coming back, and in the end I fed him. He ate so ravenously that I thought he must be really hungry and possibly a stray
I didn't feed him the next day but he still came back so then I did. He would beg at the door, asking for more, hence his name. I made him various shelters in the garden, the most successful being a plastic box with a hole cut in the front and a blanket. he would sleep there most nights, and have all his meals with us. He would rush indoors every so often, and go straight into the back room to eat some of Cassie's biscuits before I could put him out again. This went on for about three weeks. I visited some of our neighbours, none of whom knew where he was from. I did some posters and took him to the vet to see if he was chipped but he wasn't. So, in the end, we decided that we would take him in. He had to have the works, blood tests, injections, neutering, (which made him into a much less smelly little cat, poor boy!) flea and worm treatments, as well as antibiotics for a wound on his back foot. Then he had to stay in for three weeks, between injection courses, although we only managed two and a half before we let him out again as he was going stir crazy. I was nervous letting him out in case he ran off, but he hasn't so far! The most difficult part has been integrating him with Cassie and Lily. Lily spends a lot of her time in the bedroom, so at first we thought it would be fine to let him in sometimes when we were in there. It wasn't and he leapt towards her with dubious intentions, so he doesn't go in there now. After much hissing and extreme annoyance from Cassie, she is really beginning to tolerate him much more. They can spend time in the same room for ages, and so far she has the upper paw! He is very energetic, and if we haven't played with him enough, he is more bold with Cassie, but usually he backs off when she tells him to. He is a very funny little cat and loves being told he is a good boy!
                    
Oliver in his box outside. 
Cassie does contemptuous well.
 Can I stay?
Oliver's London property. 

4 comments:

Linda Sue said...

Oh Sarah, He is a lovely boy, thank you form all of the little cat gang out there alone without a human to take them to the vet and give them cookies...I am so glad.

Stella said...

What a pretty cat. Same coloring as my new little dog. I wish they could be friends!

Steve Reed said...

Adorable! I'm so glad he found a home with you.

Shell said...

Oliver looks like a sweetie.