Sunday 30 September 2012

Cotton Reel Pincushion

A way to use old cotton reels-make them a hat and they become a pincushion! It does look more like a mushroom but maybe she has got really big hair under there. I thought of these the other night, and sketched a few. I made this prototype for my friend's birthday. She is a teacher in the school I work at, but she is also a knitwear designer and maker, so may need a pincushion. She uses a knitting machine, which is the most horribly complicated thing I have ever seen and requires a lot of patience. Especially as she uses very fine wool yarn which tends to break quite often.The yarn I used is one I got from the boot fair in Pimlico. It is a kind of cotton ribbon. I wish I knew what it was called so I could buy some more, as it is lovely to crochet with.
 I am thinking of making some of these for the craft fair, as I need little low cost items. I need more finished cotton reels though! I have some that are nearly there. I have acquired vast quantities of buttons this week-from eBay, and from a shop in Rochester where we went yesterday. I have had a quick sort and there are some lovely ones, so I need to think how to include them in things. One lot from eBay had a nasty surprise included though-a razor blade! Luckily I saw it as I was rummaging, but it could have been painful.

 I have been collecting old patterns to use as wrapping for some time now, so had an experiment with my friend's present. The gift tag is also recycled from a fancy clothing label.
 I visited my favourite fabric shop in Rochester yesterday, as I needed more body fabric and some more fat quarters. I invested in a rotary cutter and a large cutting mat, as the thought of cutting out 20 more dolls was daunting. It has revolutionised the cutting process! I managed to draw, cut and sew all twenty today. Last time the drawing and cutting of 14 dolls took nearly a day. I am going to sit and turn them after tea and then go back to finishing the last lot.
I liked how the fabric looked all ready to sew. These are the legs, which have four pieces and so need joining and the seams ironing flat before sewing the leg together. Sometimes I wonder what I am doing! It is becoming my other full time job!
Apologies for the late drawing of the bear giveaway. I will be back tomorrow to do it!

7 comments:

Leenie said...

Really clever, Sarah. If you didn't want to use them for gifts you could paint likenesses of your enemies and enjoy the stabbing of pins in their hats.

Tracy said...

VERY fun with the "mushroom pin cushions," Sarah... what a great idea! These would be great for your fair--I bet you would sell these well! Lovely ideas for recycled packaging. And really like that last photo--and how you've used it for part of a new banner. :o) Happy new week ((HUGS))

Rattling On said...

Another really great idea! I also had a bad do with a thing from ebay, there were pins inside a little vintage cushion I bought. Ouch, and it took ages to be able to get them out of the stuffing.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah, catching up on my favourite blogs after the holiday. I love your pincushion - very stylish. Aren't rotary cutters and mats wondeful inventions - they save so much time! Anne x

Paula said...

Love your spool pincushion lady! Such a unique and fun idea! Glad you saw that razor blade before digging in. Holy Cow!

Sarah said...

Yes indeed!

Janine said...

Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful! I think those pincushions are a wonderful idea, I love them!