Tuesday 24 November 2020

Anchor Update

I was wondering, like River, where all the anchors come from, and googled that question. I didn't find the answer, though I suppose some are from the shipbreaking that used to go on, but I did find the Big Anchor Project, which records anchors wherever they may be around the world, under the sea, displayed on land, beached like mine, or in museums. I often feel that I don't use the internet very well and am always happy to find a new thing to explore. I have learnt quite a lot about the parts of anchors in the last hour, and also about map references! I have recorded my anchor, a stocked anchor I now realise, and have put the information I know from a photo from a distance of about 10 metres. I may go back at some point and do some measuring so I can record more! I didn't know anything about the parts of an anchor, and now know that the stock is the part that goes through or around the shaft-the knobbly bit on top of this one. The shaft is the main length of the anchor. The flukes are the bits at the end of the arms-the thing poking out of the mud. This one is puzzling as the fluke is not at 90 degrees to the stock, and because I can't see the rest of that part it is hard to tell what is going on. If my information is wrong I suppose my anchor may not make it through moderation!





 

No comments: