Friday 21 June 2019

Embroidery

I went to a two hour embroidery course in February run by an artist called Gareth Brookes. When Linda Sue was here we visited a comic shop in Lee and I bought one of his books called "Can I Use Your Toilet?" It is about this warehouse he used to work in and the people that he met there. It is short and full of great line drawings. He also makes books that he embroiders the art work for. He told us on the course that one of those books takes about five years to make! I looked him up and found the course in that way. Anyway, there were about 12 of us on the course, some shy and some chatty. He taught us some basic stitches, and we had a go at them. I have done some embroidery over the years and knew all of them, apart from one called 'long and short stitch.' You start with a row of long and short stitches then continue to fill an area with stitches in between the long ones, meeting the short. You can stitch into the short or just meet it. It is a great way to fill large areas and quite therapeutic to do. The course was run in a lovely building in South Norwood, and while investigating the area on the day before, I bought this doll in a funny little charity shop. So she was my choice for a picture to do. I changed her place of origin from Azores to where I found her. I used mainly the long and short stitch.

3 comments:

jabblog said...

How lovely! I don't seem to have the patience for handwork any more (or anything else, for that matter!)
It sounds as though you had a thoroughly revitalising time on your course.

Linda Sue said...

OHHH I am so jealous! It would have been so much fun to go with you. Your girl came out nicely! Very good. Looks like a fair bit of thread was used, great job on filling in the skirt. So glad you went, now you can teach!

Lincoln Madison said...

The least expensive VoIP Services solution would be using a computer on a peer to peer network. Offered from such VoIP service providers as Skype or the Gizmo Project, the software is free to download and calls within the network are free worldwide.